[time-nuts] Re: What GNSS module to buy for a good time reference?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jul 2 20:54:55 UTC 2023

Hi

If position is the only goal (obviously it’s not ….) then things are a bit more simple:

These days, NRCan will accept a single frequency Rinex file. You no longer *must*
have dual freq. device. Plug in any of the uBlox devices to your antenna. Use their
tools to record a couple of days worth of data. Send that off to them.

You *do* have a F9 coming in, use it and record a day’s worth of data. With
a reasonable antenna, the answer should be good to a few mm.

One of last night’s runs here claims a 7mm x 5mm error in X and Y. Height comes
in at 22 mm. This is from their “ultra rapid” solution set. If I resubmit in a couple weeks,
they will have a better solution to work off of and that should reduce all those errors.

Anything else you plug into the same cable will use the antenna location, you only
need to do this “survey” process once.

Is the antenna stable to mm? Is the answer *really* good to that level? That’s all
open to debate. One could also wonder about the antenna mount …. Fortunately,
at 3 ns/m, you don’t really need a location that is good to < 10 cm.

If we’re talking about real time PPS, things like the ionosphere and troposphere
get into the act. Correction services can help with this. Dual frequency measurements
also can help. Wider frequency spread is better in that case. ( so L1 to L5 is a
better bet than L1 to L2). Some dual freq devices have the correction calculations
built in, others don’t.

Last time I played with a F9T (which *was* a while back) it did not have the ability
to do the calculations internally. That could easily have changed with newer firmware.
It also might be dependent on the unit being L1/L5 vs L1/L2. I have not dug into
them for a while.

Bob