[time-nuts] Re: What GNSS module to buy for a good time reference?

Thomas Abbott thomas at reversebiased.com
Mon Jul 3 18:31:49 UTC 2023

> if you take the lid off a ZED-F9T module, you will see among the
> three or four ICs there a separate TCXO.
>
> in theory you could remove that oscillator (I think it's ~60 MHz) and
> feed in an external reference there.  I don't know anyone who's
> tried that, and I don't know if the software has the right hooks

Someone tried that with a NEO-6M, it is messy but quite beautiful:
- HP10811 10 MHz oscillator,
- 26 MHz synthesizer from this
- uBlox NEO-6M with internal crystal removed
- microcontroller gently steering the master oscillator
- using standard messages from the GPS - first the reported freq accuracy
to get it close to the right frequency, and then the TPQerr for phase lock.

Detailed write-up here:
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s57uuu/mischam/gpsy/index.html#self

In the end I don't think its frequency stability will be better than a
regular GPSDO, it just needs no TIC. This guy wasn't so interested in
absolute time, but if you added one more PPS input/output for once-off
sync, the clock data from the NRCAN PPP would now accurately reflect the
time error of the oscillator.

You could also run the whole thing off your master reference, without
steering it, and the same would apply. You'd have to once find the
relationship between GPS time and one of your 10 MHz edges, maybe using the
PPS output. The post-processing would tell you the clock error over time. I
suppose it would work with the F9T.
I found the F9T timepulse was degraded from ~1 ns RMS (short term) to ~10
ns, if the temperature was changing quickly, or if there was any vibration.
So it might perform even better with a more stable reference.

Thomas