[time-nuts] Re: Rooftop GNSS antenna mounting recommendations

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Jul 4 13:37:02 UTC 2023

On 7/4/23 1:22 AM, Matt Huszagh via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll be mounting a GNSS antenna to my roof for timing applications and
> would appreciate recommendations for the best way to do this. The
> portion of the roof where the antenna will be mounted is flat. I'd
> prefer to avoid drilling or screwing into the roof if possible. But, if
> there's a safe and reversible way to do this, I'm ok with that.

how big of an antenna? A small "hockey puck" or a big choke ring?

What's the roof surface?

> I found a method described by sparkfun that involves using an anchor in
> a cinder block:
>
> https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-build-a-diy-gnss-reference-station/all#affix-your-antenna
>
> This seems like an easy and low-cost method. Given the weight of the
> cinder block, I wouldn't expect the antenna to move. Thoughts? Any
> potential problems with this? Other methods that work well?

that works. There's quite a few fairly large antennas on flat roofed
buildings where there's a kind of metal "tripod" weighted down with
bricks or cinder blocks. If you look for what are called "no penetration
antenna supports" you'll get lots of hits.

I've used silicone caulk to "glue" a bracket to a roof tile (concrete
tile roof).