[time-nuts] Re: Rooftop GNSS antenna mounting recommendations

Ed Marciniak ed at nb0m.org
Tue Jul 4 14:28:56 UTC 2023

Not wanting to drill holes in my roof, I screwed the X bracket that comes with a Starlink V2 (rectangle ~ 12x19 “dish”) to a rectangle made of 2x4 wood and set quantity four 4x8x16 solid cinder blocks on it.

That’s probably overkill, but being the dish can autonomously reposition and it doesn’t seem to position itself horizontal, bird bath style I’d prefer overkill.

The treated wood has a nice friction surface against the shingles.

The phased array being essentially the whole satellite terminal less the indoor power supply would make it costly to replace.

If I were using a ~ 60-100 USD L1L2 patch antenna, I’d probably make some sort of bracket that takes a single solid 4x8x16 cinderblock. If using a larger 18 inch diameter ground plane or a choke ring style antenna that was significantly more expensive to replace, I’d probably opt for at least two.

For me, it depends on what’s on hand for a suboptimal solution versus the mental time and energy to fabricate a more optimal solution. I’m probably not going to setup jigs and weld up just one bracket.