[time-nuts] Re: Rooftop GNSS antenna mounting recommendations

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Wed Jul 5 13:59:10 UTC 2023

Hi,

You haven't mentioned if you live in an are a with snow. (If you have a
flat roof, my guess is maybe not). If that piles up like here, you may
want to reach up a little higher to clear that.

A long time ago we used to install satellite dishes for remote classroom
learning and medical training. These usually involved large (4ft) dishes
mounted with non penetrating mounts. The mounts had several large 1/4"
thick steel pads. Everything was galvanized plate steel and angle iron.
We'd put a rubber material down, then the steel pad, then several
hundred pounds of concrete blocks. The blocks were secured with banding
to the pads.

The point wasn't if the dish would stay still, it was to keep it in
place with 75mph or 100mph winds. Depending on your location, you may
want to plan for worst case weather. Having the wind blow a concrete
block off the roof onto your car or someone below is worth considering.

That said, I did have a 'roof mount' magnetic GPS antenna stuck to a
rather large chunk of steel plate on a low pitch shingled roof for a few
years. It stayed in place, but was in danger of getting shoveled off
with the snow (We get 300+ inches a year). It worked fine for the half a
dozen years it was there.

My recommendation would be something big and heavy, and low profile.

Dan