[time-nuts] Re: St Veran gravity red-shift misson

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Sat Jul 22 19:06:50 UTC 2023

Hi all,

Our time here starts to run out. This is bitter-sweet, because it means
leaving a really nice place with a boatload of new friends, good times
and for me a whole amount of astronomy I did not expect to see.

After doing the last show for the turists, we have moved the clock and
batteries over to the observatory car where it will sit over night.
Power from the house and maintain the choke ring on the top. All to
minimize the things we need to do tomorrow morning, since we need to
raise early and then travel down to the village, and then transfer the
clock back to my car, and then drive across France and into Brussels, to
move the clock into the Observatoir Royal de Belgique lab.

It's been very eventless here, but things where fixed in the beginning.
So, you would expect things to be fine... well, just as we loaded the
clock and locked the car, we saw that one tire is flat, so right now
work to change the tire. Luckily we have a spare tire. So, the usual
mess ongoing. Had to unload some, but not too much.

I have tried to use a TICC, logged a lot of data in parallel to the GNSS
common view, and it turns out that the least square fit is for
ridicolous litte frequency shift with about 3E-16, so that is probably
just the same clock looped back. Ah well. The integration works. What
does not work is signal on ChB so I need to investigate that as I come home.

We have learned immensly by attempting this project, and just finishing
it we try to use the knowledge.

I'll setup a webpage on my server to describe as much as I can.

The hobby-astronomers have various other background, such as one being a
math professor, so I showed him my fast least square work, just to see
what he thought. Kind words was exchanged. Other than that, lots of
physics, math etc. have been discussed.

Car tire changed, things reloaded. Everything is fine.

Now we prepare for the final night feast.

Cheers,
Magnus