[time-nuts] Re: Fei FE-5680A RS-232 interface.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jul 27 01:07:58 UTC 2023

Hi

The reason for not finding a clear answer is unfortunately fairly simple:

FEI sold a number of different devices as FE-5680’s. They all got similar part numbers.

Next, the design of even specific devices changed at least three times over the “lifetime” of the device.

Finally, some of these sell better than others. There is a very real empire of folks who modify the
less desirable versions ( no 10 MHz out ….) to add the missing features.

Simple answer on any of them:

Hook up the power and make sure it at least boots. See if it locks. If not, dive into fixing that problem.

Then take a look at the various in’s and outs on your specific device.

You might have some luck comparing pictures of the “connector surface” on your device to various other
examples. Some of the “rebuilt” parts have connectors in slightly odd locations.

Bob