[time-nuts] St Veran gravity red-shift misson - GNSS thread

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Thu Jul 27 11:19:54 UTC 2023

Dear all,

So far I have described mostly the power side of things. I thought I
would cover more of the GNSS side of things, as I think there might be
interest in that.

Besides continuous operation, measuring the clock is an important part
of the mission. This has it's own set of challenges.

The normal way of operating for ORB is to use common view, and in
particular the PPP tool of Pascale Defraigne, which is one of the most
distringuished experts in the field. She has been a great supporter for
this.

So, already from my home outside Stockholm Sweden, I had prepared to
operate my Septentrio Mosaic-T. However, I did not have time to mount an
antenna on the roof of my car, so that only happend at my summerhouse
600 km and 4 degrees south. On the car I mounted a Leica AT504 choke
ring antenna with a radome. I was a bit worried about the mounting
holding up for the trip, by now 4300 km later and at speeds up to 167
km/h, it just sits there untouched. Since I was not used to the
Mosaic-T, I was unable to figure out how to enable logging, so Bruno had
to do that for me later.

A particular problem I had is that the RxTools software run on Windows
and Linux, and naturally I only got my Mac with me and I did not get it
to run under Wine. I managed to do a few things using the web-page and
commands in command window. Ah well.

I knew that Bruno would bring a Septentrio PolaRx4TR, so I had installed
a GPS Source antenna-splitter.

I brought two Leica antennas, one for which the radome was not mounted.
Futher I had brought a Sokkan SK702 pin-wheel antenna. A varity of
cables and adaptors was also brought. Turns out that this was needed.

As we transfered car in Saint Veran village, I realized that it would be
too much work to transfer the antenna on my roof, but since I had the
same antenna as spare we used that. Similarly, the pin-wheel was better
adapted to record the climb from Saint-Veran village to the Observatoir
de Saint Veran. That I had a suitable cable available resolved that
problem. Bruno held the pin-wheel antenna out the window, doing his best
Hamlet "To be or not to be" interpretation, but without the text. As we
did the climb, we where honoured to see plenty of marmots. They are very
unafraid, so they move away a few meters.

As we climbed up to the observatory, we transfered the clock. Then we
took the other choke ring and placed on the roof. The room suggested for
us was ideal, as there where pre-existing holes in the wall for cables.
Bruno had brought a new temperature stable version of the LMR-400, and
we had to extend it just a little to reach from the ideal antenna
location over to the clock assembly. Using vulcanizing tape and black
isolation tape, I secured the connectors. We only had a little rain.
There can be quite a bit of wind, but we saw no trace of the antenna
movement, and I had made only a poor attempt at securing the antenna,
but it turns out the efforts done was sufficient this time. For next
time I will improve on that.

On our way down, we just did the same thing in reversal, with the
exception that we moved the clock over to the observatory van the
evening before, just to avoid stress in the morning. We kept the choke
ring and just dropped the antenna cable down so it would be reconnected
in the van, along with "house power". That location exposed it to more
temperature variations, which is a risk, but that risk is much lower
than the risk of stressing the other things.

So, both the recievers was getting GNSS signals. The primary goal was to
have them running redundantly in parallel and log onto their internal
disks. This keeps their dependence to external things to a minimum.

Both receivers god a 10 MHz reference from the cesium. An auxillary PPS
also provided.

This should be enough to measure the frequency of the cesium throughout
the experience.

We got early results, showing the 1 ms steps I talked about. Resetting
the PPS on the cesium resolved that issue, and does not change the
frequency of the 10 MHz, as also explicitly stated in the manual.

A curious thing is that my Mosaic-T lost the ability to provide PNT
solution, yet being able to log track all signals as normal. I have yet
to resolve that, but we concluded it could log things and we can
post-process the data.

In addition I pulled the PPS out of the PolaRx4TR to a TADR TICC, also
fed a 10 MHz from the cesium to the TICC. I had intended to time-stamp
both the PPS from receiver and clock, but my TICC did not time-stamp
many of the PPS pulses from the cesium ever, and none while on the
mountain. Because of power failure issues, I pulled the TICCs out in
Grenoble and re-installed later in Saint Veran, but the output was not
useful, essentially looking at delay noise and such a small slope that
no real frequency can be given. I have therefore chosen to ignore the
data. I will see if I god more data as we decended.

Because we failed to get a good clock charcterization before going up,
we do that now afterwards. The cesium now sits in the wellcontroled
environment on ORB and receives signal from their antenna in parallel
with their clock system. We want a long reference trace to draw
conclusions. Also, key personal is on holliday. This is why you do not
get any nice plots right now. I had intended to have the TICC trace fill
that purpose as a preliminary analyis. It would have even cooler to do
realtime display, but I simply did not have the time.

I should add that the TADR TICC has phenomenal performance per W power.
This is very relevant for setups like these.

Data is recorded. Data will be analyzed. More lessons to be learned.

We learned immensly about how difficult it is to do this. I could forsee
many obsticles, but not all.

Once home, I aim to setup my time-lab properly, and to be honest, part
of this setup is more or less what I need to setup in the lab.

Cheers,
Magnus