[time-nuts] Re: CTI OSC5A2B02 OXCO testing

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jun 3 12:44:20 UTC 2023

Hi

By far the biggest issue with any small OCXO is the “stable temperature”
part of things. Any sort of draft is going to be a really big deal. HVAC cuts
in … problem. Door to the lab opens and closes ….problem. Folks move around
in the lab … problem. Dog wags tail ..

I would spend some time coming up with some sort of enclosure that at the
very least keeps the drafts at bay. You don’t want things buried under a big
blanket, the OCXO’s will overheat. Enclosures build of water bottles are indeed
an option. Monitoring the temperature inside the enclosure is a very good idea.

Simply shorting the EFC to ground is a quick and simple way to handle that side
of things. They will be off frequency. The long term data still should be representative
of the part. Having them at a range of frequencies just might help with various cross
talk issues.

Keeping any of this stable while plugging the parts into some sort of board is a
challenge. Soldering them into a board is great, un-soldering them may well
damage them. How this impacts things depends a lot on a whole lot of details.

Switching wise, kill the signal at the oscillator. Don’t let it head over to a switch. It’s
a CMOS output device. A gate will do that pretty well. You need some sort of
buffer anyway. These parts will not drive a chunk of coax cable.

If you are looking for aging, a reading an hour should be adequate. If you are trying
for ADEV, then you only want to look at one device at a time. One part in the fixture,
all the rest on the other side of the room …..

As noted in other messages, a cute way to do this is to divide all the OCXO’s to 1 pps
and then look at time drift. Log the time offset once an hour. Anything that gives you
a nanosecond-ish reading is plenty good enough.

Fun !!!

Bob