[time-nuts] Re: CTI OSC5A2B02 OXCO testing

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 01:28:02 UTC 2023

 I was sloppy with my post, but I'd been at it for quite a while and was tired. Next time I'll wait until the next day to post.

OK, time to 'fess up.

I've got a 1990's $500k MSRP T&M lab. Missing the bits to do precision time closer than 1e-10. I was using the 34401A to monitor the voltage.

I have a Tek 11801 sampling scope and a rich suite of sampling heads. I can measure to 20 femptoseconds, though noise becomes a serious issue at delays that small. But I think I see how to use that to compare OXCOs.

I'm already getting better than 1e-10 accuracy (the limit of the 5386A). So the project is to see if I can achieve 1e-11 or better. What I'd really be pleased with would be 1e-12 from a 4 OXCO reference over the course of a year. based on cals at 1,2, 4, 8 and 16 month intervals. Does it make any sense? No. But I've got an idea for solving a difficult problem and those are the things I enjoy playing with. This is a pure aging correction. The shift for an OXCO operating continuously in a stable environment.

The key to this is using basis pursuit to select from say, 1 million possible aging curves, the 2-3 curves whose sum best matches the available data. My testing of numerical models of the heat equation, an infinite sum of exponentials, showed that I could predict future values to with 1-2% for as far into the future as I had data from the past.

To get acceptable adjustments, you can't have a single pot for the entire divider. So you have to have a small pot between a pair of fixed resistors chosen so the temp cos cancel. Vishay is pretty much what you can get and they are not cheap. The voltages I stated were the EFC voltages measured by the 34401A.

I have AR488s for GPIB. No worries there.

The concept I'm working on is to model the aging of N OXCOs, adjust Vref to keep the output on frequency and at octave time intervals recalibrate the unit.

Let's suppose an OXCO with a 365 ppb first year aging rate. If I predict and correct Vref for the aging rate to ~2% let's call the error 7 ppb. That's a 50x improvement in accuracy by using an MCU to adjust Vref over the course of the year. If the 0.02 ppb/s is random, then having 4 OXCOs feeding a common tuned circuit should reduce the random frequency errors from 0.02 ppb/s to 0.01 ppb/s (1/sqrt(N)).

Have Fun!
Reg