[time-nuts] Re: Creating a D.I.Y Rubidium Atomic Clock

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 7 22:11:53 UTC 2023

That just leaves the Rubidium lamp.
An ECDL (external cavity diode laser) locked to the appropriate Rubidium transition is much easier to build. There are several ECDL designs in the literature. Mostly these are Littrow designs. A Cateye resonator design is another option. All the components required are readily availble.
VCSEL's should be avoided as those without polarisation mode stabilisation gratings on the output face randomly mode hop between a pair or orthogonally polarised modes.
A well designed but relatively simple ECDL can have a much narrower line width than a typical DFB laser.

Bruce