[time-nuts] Re: Loop Antennas

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 14:40:25 UTC 2023

Hello to the group.
If the solution is for LORAN C then a wider band antenna is needed. Exactly
as Poul states.
Then for narrow band signals such as wwvb narrow band.
My solution is as follows.
WWVB 10' X 10' square loop resonant at 60 KHz about 1Khz wide or so. It has
worked well for 10 years. Then a preamp.
eLORAN 4' X 4' square loop resonant at 100 KHz and broad banded to tp +/-
15 KHz. Preamp at the antenna.
Square loops are easy to build with plumbing parts. The eLORAN antenna can
be turned 180 degrees. Because currently the tests can come from any
direction. Though right this second they are west of me by 1800 miles.
I also have available simply by changing a connection a classical LORAN C
whip antenna.
I did build the eLORAN antenna just for the fun of it.

Reality is it depends on how far away you are and many other antennas can
work. Simple wire, whips and preamps etc.

Regards
Paul
WB8TSL