[time-nuts] Re: 5071B

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 14 14:30:20 UTC 2023

Hi

The 1008 series passive hydrogen masers are in the same rough price range as the 5071.
Would you be be more impressed by your neighbor having one than the other? :)

I suspect one of the reasons prices don’t get published is that some (but certainly not all)
folks do indeed make a cost based decision between the two. The “which is best” debate
goes back at least into the 1980’s. There are applications that either one just might do
fine in.

The 5071 and 1008 do most certainly go into labs, however they are not the “best of the
best of the best”. Folks at PTB and NIST go to other devices when they are after “the best”.
These are production boxes that go a lot of obscure places to do this and that.

Some form of “super machine” that combined the long term stability of the 5071 with the
short term stability of a maser (passive or maybe even active) *and* came in roughly
the same in terms of  cost, size, proven performance (on production units), and tube life
as the 5071, would be a game changer.

That’s long list (without hard numbers for each of the points). It is the kind of list the next
generation probably needs to target to fully displace the current generation of devices.

Bob