[time-nuts] Re: Piezo Systems OCXO Data?

Keelan Lightfoot keelanlightfoot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 22:30:00 UTC 2023

Bob,

Thanks for the history, it’s always interesting looking back at the growth
of a corporate organism.

This is the oscillator in a Trimble 4000X GPS from 1987. It was producing
no output, but it didn’t have a chance to dig into it too deeply the night
before last, but I figured I’d get the ball rolling in finding a
replacement. The problem is that I don’t know what the output
characteristics or control voltage characteristics are to source a
replacement.

I had a chance to dig deeper last night, and in one of the RF modules
inside the receiver, I found two scorched inductors, and a very crispy and
guily looking tantalum capacitor. The capacitor shorted the output of the
LM317 that provides the +12V supply to the OCXO, which caused the two
inductors supplying the +14V input to the regulator to also combust,
eventually burning out the +14V fuse in the power supply.

The RF cans must be well sealed, because I didn't smell anything...
Thinking about it now, it may have happened years ago and failed open, but
me jostling it around on my bench may have closed a previously opened short.

And now I have a pile of tantalums on their way to re-cap the entire
receiver.

- Keelan

On Jun 13, 2023, at 6:43 PM, Bob Camp via time-nuts <