[time-nuts] Re: HP 5061Bs on ebay

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jun 15 02:14:31 UTC 2023

Hi

There are a *lot* of 5061 chassis running around. There are *very* few working
tubes to go with those chassis.  The tubes wear out, but the chassis gets kept
“just in case”.

It is not unusual to buy a half dozen or more in order to find one with a tube that
“kinda sorta” works. Many of the ones that do get running are not very close to
their original spec performance. (The stability of the unit degrades as the tube
wears out …..)

For a while FEI had a contract to supply replacement tubes to the US government.
You will find those tubes in some units. You also will find units with tubes out of other
brands of Cs standards. How well those work is a bit of a “that depends” sort of thing.

None of this is to say “don’t do this”. It only is a caution that the route from having
nothing to having a good performance unit may be pretty long. You might get lucky
early on …..

Bob