[time-nuts] building a frequency counter.. use 1PPS, ,or 10 MHz reference from GPS?

Tyler H tyler881 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 23 18:58:18 UTC 2023

Hello!

I'm building a frequency counter for some amateur radio microwave
transverters to measure the local oscillators.

I am designing towards a capability of directly counting up to 100 MHz and
up to 200 MHz with a prescaler.

For a time base, I'd like to use a 1PPS pulse from a GPS, but how accurate
are they?   Should I just count a 10 MHz GPS reference and use that to
generate a gate for the counter?

Yes, there will be propagation delays in dedicated logic gates, but they
don't appear to be too bad.  I should be able to get down to 100 Hz or so,
which will be fine for what I need to do.

I'd rather stick with dedicated counters and gates than move to an FPGA.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tyler

KM3G