[time-nuts] Re: building a frequency counter.. use 1PPS, ,or 10 MHz reference from GPS?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Sat Jun 24 06:40:55 UTC 2023

Tyler,
You did not mention what accuracy is needed.
With a PPS from a modern cheap GPS receiver with a good GPS signal you can
expect a 1 s ADEV of 1e-8
Direct usage of this PPS to directly gate and count 100MHz will give you a
bit worse performance for your counter, say 3e-8, or average error of 3 Hz
per second gate time when measuring the 100MHz
With a not so good GPS signal this average error may increase to 30 Hz.
Erik.