[time-nuts] Re: FPGA-based GPS NTP server project

HÃ¥kan T Johansson f96hajo at chalmers.se
Mon Mar 6 07:25:30 UTC 2023

Hi,

thanks for all the tips!  With some NEO-7M and NEO-6M boards together with
a 0.5 ns sampling of the PPS and sawtooth correction message it is now
able to reach a jitter of about 2 ns of the PPS vs. the tracking.

Another thing came up:

For monitoring, I have found it quite useful to have an estimate of the
current tracking resolution in the NTP responses.  However, the root
dispersion field does not have resolution enough (smallest non-0 value is
15.3 us) and thus only give useful reports when tracking is way off, e.g.
during initial lock.  So I am (ab)using the precision field to report
log_2 of a running average of the absolute differences between the actual
and expected NTP timestamps at the PPS signals.  With the previous 8 ns
sampling without sawtooth correction it reached around -26 to -27, and now
instead between -29 and -30.

Are there adverse effects of having a dynamically varying NTP precision
field?

Cheers,
HÃ¥kan