[time-nuts] Re: LeoNTP Time Server 1200

Rick Bollar newsletters at bollar.com
Mon Mar 6 16:21:31 UTC 2023

I have one of the new LeoNTP 1200s running on my time server farm since December and see there are occasional (perhaps once a month) jitters as much as 999.999 ms reported by the other NTP servers. It's on my list of things to look at. Otherwise, the reported jitter is substantially lower than any of my other NTP servers (a Spectracom SecureSync Rubidium and some RPis running NTPSec) and I recommend it to people who need a set-and-forget NTP solution.

Also, these large jitters appear to happen at the same time across the other servers, leading me to believe it's something going on in the LeoNTP. The LeoNTP is connected to a roof-mounted GNSS antenna, so I tend to discount poor signal as a reason.

Here are some NTPViz examples:
https://time.bollar.org/plots/30day1/#server_jitter_10.0.0.246
https://time.bollar.org/plots/30day2/#server_jitter_10.0.0.246

Rick

Sent from ProtonMail, Swiss-based encrypted email.