[time-nuts] Re: HP 115BR Clock 60 Hz output option

John Vendely jvendely at cfl.rr.com
Tue Mar 7 22:27:41 UTC 2023

Hi Chris,

You're definitely on to something here, something I completely failed to
notice--that second photocell, V102, which is "NC" in the standard
product, but clearly used in the 60 cps output option, according to the
parts list!   In the 115BR days, some form of triggered divider would be
have been necessary to to provide the large division ratio needed to get
down to 60 cps. And, as it happens, the 1 kc is derived from a
regenerative divider, which naturally includes a frequency tripler
providing 3 kc as part of its conversion scheme.  Buffer the 3 kc output
from the 1 kc regen. divider and use the second photocell in conjunction
with a spinning aperture disc to generate an optical gate (as was done
to generate the 1PPS) to select every 50th pulse of 3 kc .   Something
along these lines, anyway.

I shall look more closely at the 115BR mechanics and electronics, and
peruse the parts lists and see if I can ferret out the details.

Many thanks for everyone's interesting suggestions...

73,

John K9WT