[time-nuts] Re: Frequency counter recommendation wanted

Stewart Cobb stewart.cobb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 20:39:25 UTC 2023

I've bought perhaps a dozen HP 5334B counters off ePay for my company labs
over the last decade, at prices from about $75 to $225. I've never had a
problem with one. Rick built a good box. For various reasons, the B model
is a better bet than the A model.

If it does everything you need it to do, the 5334B is the counter to get.
It's blessedly quiet because it doesn't have or need a fan.

Pro tip: you will occasionally see one listed "as is" with the display
showing "no osc". Those counters are generally fine. All that message means
is that the timebase switch on the back is set to "external" rather than
"internal", and the seller doesn't know to flip it back. If you can see
that on the photos, don't be afraid.

If it's an OCXO model (option 010), it's possible that someone harvested
the 10811 OCXO before selling the remainder. I've never seen that, but it's
possible. If so, it's a bit tedious to change back to the default internal
crystal, but these counters will always work with an external 10 MHz input.

Cheers!
--Stu