[time-nuts] Re: Frequency counter recommendation wanted

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Tue Mar 14 01:52:52 UTC 2023

Richard (Rick) Karlquist said:
> I was the R&D project manager for the 5334B in a former life.  It was a  low
> cost counter designed to win the low bid on big military contracts. I had to
> throw it together in less than 1 year from start to ship. It is FAR from the
> best counter HP made, although not the worst either. It is also now 35 years
> old.

[I like them.  I have a pair collecting data as I type.]

It doesn't have a fan so doesn't make any acoustic noise.

The display is LEDs so they are unlikely to fade with old age.

--------

Don't forget to add in the cost of a GPIB adapter.  The Prologix GPIB-USB box
is up to $300. ($125 on ebay)  Their Ethernet version is $500.

Amazon has a similar (USB) unit from NI for $200 and one from Agilent for
$180.  I don't know anything about what they need for a driver and/or if
documentation is available.

--------

What's available in modern USB gizmos?  No display, no knobs/buttons, no power
supply...

---------

> SRS was a formidable competitor to HP/A/K due to its unique business model.
> I would seriously consider anything they make.

What was their business model?  What was HP's?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.