[time-nuts] Using NTP Server Time To Measure WAN Performance

Fleeson, Richard RFLEESON at c-span.org
Wed Mar 22 21:18:48 UTC 2023

Time Nuts

I have a question about using NTP servers to measure network performance.  I have a MPLS Wide Area Network with GPS locked NTP servers at each location.  I need to measure the network packet delay as well as packet jitter.  Looking on the NIST website I found this document via a trail of external web links:

40th Annual Precise and Time Interval (PTTI) Meeting
Studying Network Timing With Precision Packet Delay Measurements
https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA503429.pdf

Can anyone recommend a low cost or freeware way to measure packet delay and packet jitter using NTP associations or IEEE-1588?  Don't care if it is Linux or Windows OS.

Thanks,
Richard