[time-nuts] Re: Using NTP Server Time To Measure WAN Performance

Rick Bollar newsletters at bollar.com
Thu Mar 23 01:40:14 UTC 2023

   Hi Richard,

   NTPViz can generate those reports and more. It works with NTPSec and
   NTP and (Chrony with a

   conversion script).

   Sample: [1]https://time.bollar.org/plots/3hour2/#server_jitter_10.0.0.2
   41

   Rick

   On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 4:18 PM, Fleeson, Richard via time-nuts
   <[2]time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:

     Time Nuts
     I have a question about using NTP servers to measure network
     performance. I have a MPLS Wide Area Network with GPS locked NTP
     servers at each location. I need to measure the network packet delay
     as well as packet jitter. Looking on the NIST website I found this
     document via a trail of external web links:
     40th Annual Precise and Time Interval (PTTI) Meeting
     Studying Network Timing With Precision Packet Delay Measurements
     https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA503429.pdf
     Can anyone recommend a low cost or freeware way to measure packet
     delay and packet jitter using NTP associations or IEEE-1588? Don't
     care if it is Linux or Windows OS.
     Thanks,
     Richard
     CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is
     privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If
     you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the
     sender immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate
     or copy it.