[time-nuts] Re: Query about TSC5120A usage protocols

John Miles john at miles.io
Fri Mar 24 01:04:02 UTC 2023

The note is correct; the box runs a BSD variant without any power-down
logic.  It's no different from pulling the plug on a Windows machine without
shutting it down.  99% of the time nothing bad will happen, 1% of the time
you're in for a bad time.

Some versions of the OS bring up a warning message during bootup to the
effect of, "To avoid file system corruption, please power the system down
with the power switch rather than by pulling the plug."  It's not clear
what's up with this message because the power switch is simply wired in
series with the AC line, at least on the units I've seen.  It does not
initiate any kind of power-down sequence.  Maybe it does on some of them.
It's safest to power down only after a measurement has been running for a
while or stopped for a while, never right after beginning a measurement or
changing any settings.

I wouldn't bother with a UPS myself.  If the seller will hook you up with
the CF image, or if you are comfortable opening the box up and making a
backup (recommended) , then CF corruption is not that big a deal.

TimeLab works very well with these boxes, so I'd recommend taking a few
minutes to hook up a network cable and give it a try.

-- john