[time-nuts] Re: Phase Noise accreditation resources? Thanks

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Fri Mar 24 12:04:49 UTC 2023

Hi Tom,

I recommend you to talk to the Phase Noise section of the NIST Time and
Frequency department, that is talk to Craig Nelson and Archita Hati.
Among other things they build calibrators which is used to support the
calibration for traceability. The NIST phase noise calibrations is
documented in a nice document, so nice that we also refer to it from the
updated IEEE Std 1139-2022. See here:

https://www.nist.gov/programs-projects/pmam-noise-calibration-services

See "Calibration uncertainty for the NIST PM/AM noise standard".

Accreditation in itself is a bunch of paperwork, and you can expect them
to come over to inspect things in the process. Established routines on
how to measure this or that needs to be documented and followed. So does
althernative methods, so one should be a bit imaginative already in that
phase.

You need to follow at least ISO/IEC 17025. Searching for accreditation
in US resources turn up plentiful of resources. I suggest locating them
and follow the thread. There is formal parts that needs to be achieved
regardless of what you measure, and then there is the details for a
"laboratory" and then further down you document the procedures and
traceability of each measurement type you aim to do. Expect this
paperwork and cost related to it be an effort and investment you have to
do before you get "to the fun part" of phase noise measurements.
However, once you achieved it and maintains it, addition of additional
capabilities should be natural.

By the way, NPL has free online coarses in metrology and lately also in
time and frequency. You get nice little certificat and all. How useful
that is in this context I have not yet investigated, but at least it
does not hurt.

Cheers,
Magnus