[time-nuts] Re: Phase Noise accreditation resources? Thanks

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Mar 24 22:04:09 UTC 2023

On 3/23/23 3:54 PM, Tom Knox via time-nuts wrote:
> I am attempting to find information needed for Phase Noise accreditation.
> I would be interested in any resources that would help understand and prepare for accreditation.
> I have years making Ultra Low Phase Noise Measurements but know little about formal accreditation.

Can you give a more specific example of an accreditation requirement?  I
know that labs can have things like a certified Quality Management
System (QMS) and other processes under, say, ISO-9001 or ISO/IEC 17025.
There's also things like NADCAP, although I wouldn't think phase noise
measurements fit in the NADCAP bucket.

Those are mostly about record keeping and process control and
documentation - Ultimately are you measurements traceable to some
standard, are you reporting results in a standardized way, and so forth.

Typically, you have all your documentation, and then an independent
assessor comes in and determines whether you meet the requirements for
certification. They'll check to see if the way you do your work matches
the process documentation, for instance.