[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz Distribution Best Practices?

ed breya eb at telight.com
Fri Mar 24 20:22:16 UTC 2023

As always on this subject type, I must comment on the utility of
managing ground loops with common-mode chokes on cables between
equipment. I think this is the simplest, most beneficial thing you can
do for good quality signal distribution.

Good cables, shielding, and grounding are all fine and good, but do not
address the ground loop currents that inevitably flow between any
interconnected pieces of gear. Adding CM chokes raises the common-mode
impedance of the cable(s), greatly reducing the loop currents. You can
see these parts all the time, inside equipment, or added or built into
cable assemblies and such - almost always to fix EMC issues. The
simplest are the clip-on type ferrites that are easily added to almost
any cable type.

These are mainly to suppress RF and HF emissions from SMPSs and digital
circuits and such, but they can also be effective even for mains
frequency (and harmonics) ground loop control, with the right cores and
some simple tricks. The reason is that the voltage levels and impedances
are quite low (millivolts and milliohms), so adding even a small
inductive reactance can be quite effective, percentage-wise.

If you have mains frequency ground loop problems, you can try cores with
as high an A sub L as possible, and even better, multiple turns to get
the squaring benefit. There are ferrites available that should do well,
depending on the situation. I have even used regular silicon steel wound
or laminated line frequency transformer cores as CM chokes in certain
situations where very large line rejection was needed.

For narrow-band distribution of 10 MHz for instance, another option is
to use transformer coupling of the signal, so the low frequency ground
current and interference is eliminated, and a high frequency CM choke
can take care of the rest.

Ed