[time-nuts] Re: 10 MHz Distribution Best Practices?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Mar 26 21:52:08 UTC 2023

HI

Ok, so 80’ is the max distance. That is well worth knowing.

You still are past a half wave at 10 MHz / 30M. You can’t get around unterminated
cables acting as antennas at that sort of distance. If you can distribute the amplifiers
here and there, you *might* be able to reduce that a bit. Three amps spaced < 30’
apart (with good coax in between) would be a start.

How many “endpoints” are there?

If you have.a distribution amp that handles 8 to 12 loads, that factor into the “spread
them out” equation.

Yes, this assumes that the good old Spectracom setup with “taps” on a common coax
is not the answer. They typically have a floor around 1x10^-11 or so. Yes, I *did* once
have a conversation that ended with “that sounds fine to me” about that fact. Times
change and requirements evolve. We’re talking about a 1970’s system …..

The same basic approach would work with fiber. Design a tap and then feed the device
from it. AFIK there are none of those on the market at this point. Maybe someday.

Bob

> On Mar 25, 2023, at 3:29 PM, David Bengtson via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>
> I only have 60' to 80' of separation, so not too far. WIth good cable,
> the cable losses are manageable. F/O cabling would be helpful to avoid
> ground loops but would add a fair amount of complexity
>

> Dave
>
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 5:01 AM Dana Whitlow via time-nuts
> <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
>>
>> What's wrong with fiber optical distribution?
>>
>> Dana

>>> A lot of things can be said in favor of low-noise distribution amps with
>>> good VSWR, good channel isolation, and good PSRR (not so fast, HP 5087A.)
>>> But over the years, I've learned that the three most important factors when
>>> it comes to piping 10 MHz signals around are:
>>>
>>> 1) Shield resistance
>>> 2) Shield resistance