[time-nuts] Re: Characterizing a 100M TCXO

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Mar 25 12:45:36 UTC 2023

Hi

Yes, this is picky, but there’s a point to it. The CVHD-950 is a VCXO and not
a TCXO. TCXO implies it has some level of temperature compensation. VCXO
simply says there’s a crystal in it. At the price point, it’s a good bet it’s uncompensated.
That means you will see some pretty significant temperature / draft sort of effects
on the output.

VCXO’s typically have fairly low loop Q and thus are not going to win many races
in the “who’s best at ADEV” category. Of all the crystal oscillator categories they
will lag behind in this category. Just how far behind depends on a bunch of things.
Swing range is one of the many.

Best guess ADEV at one second …. 1x10^-9 to 1x10^-8 in a stable environment.
Open the lab window while you are running the test and who knows. (Yes, I’ve
actually run into folks who have done that while running ADEV …..).

Testing wise, a single mixer setup running against a 100 MHz OCXO would be
a cheap and quick way to go.

Bob