[time-nuts] Re: Characterizing a 100M TCXO {External}

Jim Muehlberg jmuehlbe at nrao.edu
Thu Mar 30 13:58:47 UTC 2023

I was curious about the phase noise numbers and I started plugging them
into spreadsheets and online calculators.  I cannot seem to get matching
numbers for integrated jitter.  For oscillator 2, the jpg indicates
about 66fS on the HP5052.  I took this as the reference.  The SI Time
<https://www.sitime.com/phase-noise-and-jitter-calculator> online tool
was admittedly close at 59 fS.  The Marki
<https://rf-tools.com/jitter/>tool gave 88fS.  My spreadsheet, which
calculates area with the trapezoidal rule is 76 fS.  I calculated
another way, by finding the segment jitter in dBc, converting to
radians, squaring, summing, etc and get about 72 fS.

I am not a mathematician, but this seems simple.  Is there some subtlety
I am overlooking?  Or should we not be concerned about a few fS?!

On 2023-03-25 1:10 PM, Gerhard Hoffmann via time-nuts wrote:
> Am 2023-03-24 22:00, schrieb Christophe Huygens via time-nuts:
>> I need some help in
>> characterizing a 100MHz TCXO (Crystek CVHD-950) which we used before
>> as a reference for a microwave PLL (ham project, see DUBUS 1/21). It
>> worked
>> good from a PN perspective but uses multiple steps to get to the
>> GPS-locked
>> 100MHz used as the final reference.
>>
>> I am trying to see if there is merit in locking the Crystek directly
>> and therefore
>> would like to assess its short term time stability. We intend to make
>> a bunch
>> of the above and simple is better here.
>
> I've made a takeout from my 432 MHz -> 32 MHz transverter published in
> DUBUS 2 or 3
> 2022. It is just the ECS 100 MHz xtal oven, PLL to lock it to 10 MHz
> and further
> multiplier to 300 or 400 MHz. My GPS delivers 10 MHz. I simply take
> the interesting
> LVCMOS harmonic and dump it into a SAW or LC filter. There seem to be
> no SAWs for 300 MHz.
>
> <
> https://www.digikey.de/de/products/filter/oszillatoren/172?s=N4IgTCBcDaIKYGMDOACRB7BKwFYwQF0BfIA
>   >
>
> The 10->100 MHz PLL is 4046 + 74LVC161 1/10 divider. The 9046 is not
> available.
> With a low enough filter corner, PN depends on the XO only.
> I asked ECS for the phase noise plots of their 100 MHz oven and got
> them with
> no NDA attached, so here it is. I think the layout can accommodate the
> CVHD-950
> but this has never been tested. The entire takeout has not yet seen
> solder.
>
> 300 MHz is a more lucky choice WRT amplitude than 400. The oven
> already delivers
> LVCMOS so there is not much to be lost by further buffering. 300/400
> MHz happen to
> be the fastest clock frequencies for the LMX2594 synthesizer in
> fractional/integer
> mode.
>
>> 2. How do I go about for 100MHz measurements? Is frequency ok - it
>> probably
>> will be for the Crystek? Or do I have to divide (MSI? prescaler? what
>> s today's
>
> My LVC161 prescaler created some spurs at frequencies one would never
> expect.
> That's why it has it's own small house now.
> I'm building stereo downconverters for my Timepod @100 MHz and X-band,
> but
> day-time work takes precedence and my VNA is ill.
> A few empty boards, Gerbers or Altium Designer files are available.
> Outside EU, Gerber files for JLCPCB will be less ado than a leftover
> board.
>
> regards,
> Gerhard  DK4XP

Jim