[time-nuts] New-To-Me HP 5071A Questions

Stan swperk at earthlink.net
Thu May 11 00:31:05 UTC 2023

Hello,

I just scored an HP 5071A in excellent condition, and to my amazement it
warms up and locks to the cesium as it should. Here are my questions:

1.	What are the ideal values for the various parameters that are
displayed on the LCD screen? The Symmetricom manual shows only a range of
expected values, with no indication of which values are more desirable than
others.
2.	Which of these parameters give an indication of the health/remaining
life in the cesium tube? The tube is a 10890A, with serial number prefix
3839A.
3.	The SLA batteries in my 5071A are essentially dead. I'm trying to
charge them but do not hold out much hope. Are the OEM batteries still
available? If not, can I substitute a couple of more generic 12V 2.5AH SLA
batteries, like the Power-Sonic PS-1220, assuming that they will physically
fit into the battery box?
4.	For the trivia experts: it appears that there are attach points for
strap handles on the sides of the 5071A, but I've never seen a photo of one
with those handles installed. What is the reasoning behind this?

Thanks,

Stan