[time-nuts] TBolt vs Lucent RFTGm-II-XO -- Difference in GPS Signal Sensitivities ??

jsternmd at att.net jsternmd at att.net
Wed May 24 19:18:26 UTC 2023

I had my workbench down for about a year with all my equipment boxed up for
renovation.  Yesterday, I tried to bring up my two Lucent RFTGm-II-XO along
with my T-Bolt (version from the last group buy).  Initially, for
comparisons, they all shared the same antenna (Ace Technologies, GA-1575)
through an HP 58516A distribution amp splitter.  Unfortunately, the antenna
is sitting in my 2nd floor attic (conditioned) workroom window facing South
(lower NYS area).

I tested each Lucent separately but each side by side against the TBolt.  I
also made sure that it was the Lucent XO supplying the antenna power because
as I recalled, it wants to see at least 20mA draw or it faults.  Using LH v
6beta, the TBolt as expected took a very short time to find 5 useable
satellites.  The Lucent XO (either one behaving the same) after several
hours, shows the same 6 satellites on Lady Heather as the TBolt, but all are
yellow with SNR N/A.   Further, the Lucent XO's remain in "Warming up" mode,
I assume because no satellites signals are sensed.  The same sats have
signals on the TBolts ranging from 30-37 dBc.  I also tested each Lucent XO
individually without the HP distribution splitter and same findings.  Does
the Lucent XO Oncore UT require a stronger signal than the TBolt's M12T+ ?
I may not be able to position the antenna for a full sky outside view for
some time.  Would an additional GPS amplifier help?

Jerry NY2KW