[time-nuts] Re: Brain Burp re Noon and the Sun!

Clive S Carver clive at ancient-mariner.co.uk
Thu Nov 23 10:17:02 UTC 2023

Have I misunderstood "Local Meridian"?

I was thinking that it was a line of Longitude (passing through the North &
South Poles of the Earth, (as does the Greenwich Meridian), with the
locations of interest on it. But Googling "Local Meridian" gives me
something else involving the Celestial Sphere. Ie The Local Meridian is an
imaginary Great Circle on the Celestial Sphere that is perpendicular to the
local Horizon. It passes through the North point on the Horizon, through the
Celestial Pole, up to the Zenith, and through the South point on the
Horizon.

In other words what I am trying to find out is whether solar noon would be
at the same instant at say, 50.0N 3.0W and 55.0N 3.0W?

Many thanks.

Clive