[time-nuts] Re: Seems like the new version PN2060C is available for sale US$680

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Oct 7 14:59:34 UTC 2023

--------
Bob Camp writes:

> Doing a fiber optic interface is an interesting approach. How you do a
> two way link to the computer, at an affordable price. is a bit unclear
> to me. Maybe there is an obvious answer I've missed

The crew behind OZ7IGY found a non-obvious answer for low bandwidth applications: TOSLINK

TOSLINK is a cheap LED+plastic fiber-optic audio connection.  As
with anything cheap it comes with footnotes, but they are workable.

For high bandwidths the answer is almost always ethernet (hardware)
and if one uses SFP modules, it is somewhat workable.