[time-nuts] Re: Racal Dana 9457 Rubidium with intermittent lock

wkb at xs4all.nl wkb at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 12 20:32:18 UTC 2023

Hi Mark,

Have you checked if the xtal heater is working correctly / stable and is not dropping out? If the Xtal oven temperature goes haywire the frequency of the oscillator goes off far enough that Rb lock fails.

Which is no surprise of course.

Today I managed to fix my FRK-L (EUR 15 hamfest grab) which had no less than 3 problems:

1 - the current limiting transistor of the xtal heater was a dead short resulting in a cold oven. Easy find.

2 - the carbon-composite feedback resistor R7 had drifted from 2 Mohm to 3.6 Mohm

Once 1 &2 were fixed I found myself with an oven temperature going past +100 Celsius (au!). There is no thermal fuse (not good).

Failure 3 proved to be  opamp U1. Once replaced, the oven temp became stable at 76 Celsius, this temperature is handwritten on the oven assy.

I now have stable Rb lock.

Hth, Wilko