[time-nuts] Re: shoestring budget & jitter AVR328p

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 18 13:14:24 UTC 2023

Hi

A lot depends on how you are dividing the clock signal. The most likely case here is a simple divider that just does integer division ( = the typical timer output on an MCU). You start from a 16 MHz master clock and divide by 4 to get 4 MHz or by 8 to get 2 MHz.

The jitter on the output will be from multiple different sources:

1) The clock that is driving the MCU. If you are running on the “internal clock” that some MCU’s have, this will be a big deal.

2) The VCO in any PLL multiplier in your MCU. You might have a 4 MHz external clock that is multiplied to 16 MHz. With a good external clock, this can easily be the dominant source of jitter.

3) The output circuits on the MCU. Typically this is not a big contributor.

Yes, this list could go on quite a bit further.

Simple answer is that with a proper crystal oscillator into the MCU, your jitter should be << 1 ns.

Jitter is a bit strange. You have the same time jitter regardless of how you divide. Phase noise scales as you multiply or divide. That’s just how the math works out.

Phase noise / phase modulation is a more normal way to look at signal “pollution” in a case like this than jitter. It gets you to numbers that are a bit easier to understand. Saying that a noise contribution is 100 db down puts it on a scale you can understand. ( something like : if your system noise floor is 80 db down …. this doesn’t matter). This is often the better way to dig into a question like this.

Bottom line: No, it’s not a big deal compared to the noise floor’s on the chips you are looking at. That’s true looking at jitter or at phase noise.

Bob