[time-nuts] Re: shoestring budget & jitter AVR328p

Adrian Godwin artgodwin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 13:45:23 UTC 2023

Interesting idea. I would think that the minimal perceptible change (5ms in
your delay example) might map to the time spent at an unexpected frequency
and there would also be a significant parameter in the size of the
frequency error. The measurement of wow and flutter in tape recordings
might provide some benchmarks.

The ideal equipment would be an audio signal generator with the ability to
FM modulate. I have an HP3312A function generator that includes a modulator
source and many others would provide something similar.

It should be possible to construct suitable test sound files and play them
on a computer, but for experimentation it might be better to modify the
frequency in real time. This might be done with an arduino - here's the
basics of a player for .wav files that might be modified for an
adjustable playback rate, or you might just use tone generator code with
continual small variations to the frequency.

https://www.instructables.com/Audio-Player-Using-Arduino-With-Micro-SD-Card/
https://docs.arduino.cc/built-in-examples/digital/toneMelody