[time-nuts] Opening Cs Tube

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 18:06:18 UTC 2023

Hello time-nuts,
TVB asked how I opened the CS tubes, so here it is.  It's is fairly easy
really.
First, find your safety glasses.  There will be bits of metal and cutoff
blade going everywhere.
I use a right angle grinder with a cheap metal cutting blade.
I cut around the tube just to the outside of the end cap weld seam on each
end.  Try not to cut too deep, just enough to get through the case.  You
now have the end caps removed.
Then, make two cuts lengthwise along the central cylinder lined up with the
frame of the internals of the tube.

On the old tubes (non high performance) cutting the window in the microwave
mu metal shield exposes the waveguide nicely.  On the new tubes there are
the two shields and a lot less working room, I have deemed it not worth it.
Regards,
Skip Withrow