[time-nuts] Re: Opening Cs Tube

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Sep 2 19:16:48 UTC 2023

Perhaps some trivia about the CBT may be of interest:

HP had some sort of manufacturing process for the CBT that involved
building tubes and sealing them up and maybe pumping them down,
but without breaking open the Cs ampoule.  Some sort of testing was
done on them.  Then the ones that failed the test had to be
cut open and rebuilt.

Anyway, the model maker (machinist) who managed the engineer's
machine shop handled the cutting open process in the shop he
managed.  It was done using a fairly large lathe.  He was able
to cut open the envelope without any damage to the innards.
IIRC, the machinist was named Norm.  The lathe was probably
bigger than any lathe a time-nut could hope to own.

I tried to get Norm to explain why all this was done, but I
never understood what he was talking about.  He was constantly
cutting open CBT's, it seemed.

Rick N6RK