[time-nuts] Re: Power supply buzzing in HP 58503A GPS receiver.

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 14:38:13 UTC 2023

Re: time-nuts Digest, Vol 233, Issue 9

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 17:19:07 +0100
> From: David Kirkby <drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk>
> Subject: [time-nuts] Power supply buzzing in HP 58503A GPS receiver.
> To: "time-nuts at lists.febo.com" <time-nuts at lists.febo.com>
>
> After about 6 months of being powered off, I switched on my GPS receiver
> yesterday. The PSU is buzzing quite loudly. Sound file at

<https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/noisy-PSU-in-HP-58503A-GPS-time-and-frequency-standard-recorded-10th-Sempember-2023.m4a>

I could hear your voice, but not the buzzing.

I have two suggestions.

First, get a mechanic's stethoscope, and poke around.  Here is one:

.<https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52750-Stethoscope-Kit/dp/B0015DLMOO/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=automotive%2Bstethoscope&qid=1694442384&sr=8-5&th=1>

Second, I use a spectrogram app on my iPhone, and it would tell one a
lot about what's going on.  The app is Spectrogram.  The following
may be a later release>

.<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spectrogram-pro-with-super-smooth-60hz-update/id415301721>

Joe Gwinn