[time-nuts] Re: Power supply buzzing in HP 58503A GPS receiver.

Wilko Bulte wkb at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 13 19:13:33 UTC 2023

hello Helmuth,

I just dismantled my MPS power supply for you.

Pins 6-7 are 1.7 Ω
Pins 8-9 are 0.5 Ω

Unloaded 8-9 carry 24.8 VAC
Unloaded 6-7 carry 36.1 VAC

In both cases I measured direct on the transformer, without desoldering the wires. Resistance values are close enough to your measurements I would think.

AC voltages seem reasonable for the 20.5 VDC the system uses. The 36 VAC is for the heater if I remember correctly.

The mains coil with the 240V range selected on the IEC inlet is 9.7 Ω measured at the actual inlet.

Currents I cannot measure, I would need an extender for the special DIN41612 connector variant (which I do not own). And my MFS has 2x MBF and an MPC in addition to the MRK (FRK-HLN in this case) so the current measured would be different anyway. Current drawn by the MRK is in the manual I think.

I unfortunately I do not have a schematic for the MPS.

Picture of the xformer is attached

Hope this helps,

Wilko