[time-nuts] Re: Lucent KS-24361

ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de ghf at hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de
Thu Sep 14 14:00:48 UTC 2023

Am 2023-09-14 2:30, schrieb Hal Murray via time-nuts:
>> I was wondering if these things have maybe fallen foul of the
>> 1024-week GPS
>> bug?
>
> That will just give the wrong date.  Other than that, it should work
> normally.
>

>> So far I'm not getting anywhere
>
> The GPS module in that gear is pretty old.  It will take a while to get
> going.
>  How long did you wait?  How good is your GPS antenna?  Try waiting
> longer.

I had no problems with that. Datum survey antenna erected with great
interest
of the neighborhood on my garage roof. Looks like a small rocket.

An exerpt of a memo file of mine:

Serial cable for Lucent to PC

This is a FAKE RS422 to RS232 converter. Made from an old Logitech
serial mouse cable. The male side with the silver box goes to Lucent,
the old female mouse connector goes to PC.

RFTG          PC

DE-9P         DE-9S

7 <----------> 5	pink

8 <----------> 3	braun/brown

9 <----------> 2	weiss/white

(According to the official specs, this is cheating, because you're
connecting the negative side of the differential RS-422 signals to the
RS-232, and ignoring the positive side of the differential signals.
However, it's a standard hack, and it's worked every time I've tried
it.)  (Stewart Cobb on time nuts list)

Should be in the archive.
It used to work for me with a serial to USB cable sold by HAMA here
in Germany in the next super market. I don't care about the calendar,
I have a printed one on the wall. All I want is precise 10 MHz.

Oh, and to get 10 MHz instead of 5:
<    http://www.hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de/downloads/DoubDist.pdf     >

This takes the output directly from from the 5 MHz MTI-260 oven of the
unit
with the GPS receiver. I also have the GPS-less redundancy plug-in
with a 2nd MTI-260. To be precise, I have 20 more of them because nobody
wanted them without GPS and I got a good price for that.

I plan to lock 16 of these MTI-260 sloooooowly to a common reference and
Wilkinson-combine all of them to get even better phase noise. Still
looking
for the ultimate phase detector. Hey, 16* Wenzel Citrine or at least
Oscilloquarz, that would be some progress-  :-)

If anybody needs spare parts for that Lucent stuff, ask me.
20 units are more then enough, just no GPS receivers.

Cheers, Gerhard