[time-nuts] Digging deeper into the Cs tube

Skip Withrow skip.withrow at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 17:44:40 UTC 2023

Hello Time-Nuts,
I took a second look at the Cs tube that I opened up recently and decided
to dig a little deeper.  Previously, after cutting a window in the mu metal
shield around the microwave waveguides, I found that there was another mu
metal shield under that.

CsTube-1 - I decided to drill six strategic holes in the outer case so that
I could unscrew the fasteners for the outer mu metal shield to remove it
altogether.

CsTube-2 - Shows the outer mu metal shield (with the window that I had cut
in it).  It was necessary to bend up the mounting flange a bit to clear
other fasteners.

CsTube-3 - I cut a window in the second mu metal shield and found that the
microwave waveguides are wrapped in Kaption.  The shield fits very tight to
the bits that it encloses.

CsTube-4 - The C-field coil is embedded in the Kapton wrap.  You can see
the copper stripes running lengthwise along the bottom of the tube.

CsTube-5 - The microwave waveguide is at either end of the cut out window
(the screw heads appear to hold all the copper bits together to form the
waveguide.  You can see the rectangular hole that the beam passes through
as it travels through the waveguide from one of the tube to the other. I
suppose that I could remove the Kapton on the side to expose things better.

Enjoy,
Skip Withrow