[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A power connector (Amphenol MS-3106A-18-22S) change?

Chris Hastreiter chastreiter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 12:53:31 UTC 2023

Matt,

You did order the wrong part, but not for the reason you think.  The "S"
suffix on the part is for "socket" as opposed to pin and both parts you're
showing in the image are socket type connectors.  However, the original
connector is alternate insert position W which would be an ordering part
number of MS-3106A-18-22SW.  The attached diagram from MIL-STD-1651 defines
the keying options available for this insert in the MIL-C-5015 connector
series.  The part that's confusing about the military connector part
numbering is that the "normal" key rotation is a blank suffix and it is
only added when you specify an alternate rotation.

The good news is that from a connector perspective these two rotations are
the same parts, just assembled differently.  The bad news is that what
Arrow shipped you appears to be an "E" class insert rather than the "A"
class insert you ordered (the hard plastic of the original connector is A
class and the soft rubber which provides an environmental seal is the E
class) and as far as I know the E class inserts are glued into the shell
during assembly.  You can try to break it free and reinstall it at the
correct rotation but I don't have experience with attempting that.

I don't know that a company like Arrow will have the alternate keyings as
they are much less common, but a value-add distributor like PEI-Genesis
should be able to get you the correct part.  PEI-Genesis actually purchases
the connector subassembly pieces from the manufacturer and assembles them
to order in the specified configuration.  Also note that you don't need to
be limited to Amphenol as you search for a connector, other companies such
as ITT Cannon, Glenair, and Aero-Electric all make intermateable parts
complying with this standard.

Chris