[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A power connector (Amphenol MS-3106A-18-22S) change?

Wayne J Breda M.D.,D.Sc wjbmd81 at att.net
Fri Sep 22 12:58:58 UTC 2023

Matt,
  Unfortunately you have one connector that is to true MIL-Specification
that is the Amphenol  female with the blue inserts in the shell. The
other is an older shell with the same pin configuration made by BENDIX
the black insert. There is an obvious difference as you show.
I originally thought at first glance that you could interchange the
inserts but that is not possible as the insert index is not the same.
Bendix is long extinct and the connector shell does not look as though
it is made to current MS-Specifications .
The easiest way to solve your issue since it only involves 3 wires LI,
L2 and a Neutral  is to change out the 3 pin Bendix male flange
connector on the chassis or wherever it is located with a new mating
Amphenol of the same Series.The dimensions on the hole patterns should
be approx the same. Check first!
In the Early Seventies I used to be an engineer in training with
ITT-Gremar/Canon. We only manufactured MS connectors from SMA to
specialty MS connectors and shells and all MS Manufactured shells and
inserts were interchangeable. This Bendix is a commercial version or has
mating inserts that were deliberately made to the manufacturers own
shell/ insert specifications a specialty part. They appear to be look
alike MS- Connectors  but will not mate .
I know this does not solve your problem, but provides a remedy.
Best wishes,
WjB