[time-nuts] Re: Eloran long test from now to August or September

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Sep 26 01:27:09 UTC 2023

Hi

Loran basics:

Each “chain” has a repetition rate. One hopes it is unique. That allows you to lock into this or that chain.

In a “proper” Loran chain, there is one station that sets a bit to say “I am the master”. The other stations set bits to say which “slave” they are. It appears that with eLoran they are not doing the “master” part of this.

There are some grubby details. You don’t want all the signals to arrive on top of each other. There needs to be a “who goes when” discipline. On a “proper” system, this all related to when the master did it’s thing. To some extent that was to make the documentation easier. (= there are a lot of ways to do it).

So, simply put:

Key in the repetition rate and you know what chain you have.

Look at the bits and you know which station is which.

Not to crazy.

Bob