[time-nuts] Re: Eloran long test from now to August or September.

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Sep 28 17:34:55 UTC 2023

Hi

In this day and age, there is no absolute need to feed in something as broadband as a 1 pps edge. Yes, it is easy to just cable it “over there”. An alternative would be some sort of fairly simple phase modulated signal that is much more narrowband. Pick one you can generate with a couple chips. As you suggest, do the “correlation stuff” and come up with a very accurate time estimate of that signal. The advantage would be: You can take the “time signal” out with simple frequency domain filtering.

More or less:

Time signal runs from 8 to 12 MHz (or maybe a lot more narrowband than that ….)

Digital high pass shoves time signal “over there” and it gets processed.

Loran is < 1 MHz

Digital low pass shoves loran “over here” than then it’s processed.

No need to do the fiddly “subtract an exact image” stuff.

Yes, there are a lot of fiddly details to consider. Picking 100 KHz x 100 for your time tone carrier might not be a great idea. You would need to do a bit of work to come up with the ideal signal.

Bob