[time-nuts] Re: BBC Radio Pips

Philip Gladstone pjsg-timenuts at nospam.gladstonefamily.net
Thu Feb 1 22:33:50 UTC 2024

I recall, back in the 60s, my father measuring his homemade pendulum clock
against the pips each morning. He used a homemade timer to measure the
difference between the start of a pip to the pendulum signal in hundredths
of a second -- making use of the 50Hz mains to generate the 100Hz to drive
the counter.

60 years later, technology has advanced a bit! However, the town where I
live does sound its fire horn every day at noon -- presumably so that
people can set their clocks. Maybe everybody has a mobile phone these days
and can get an accurate time that way....

Philip