[time-nuts] Re: pps pulse timestamp device

Jeremy Elson jelson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 18:25:20 UTC 2024

I've also been tinkering with building an STM32-based timestamper, though
my goal of making it more broadly available for sale keeps getting
postponed. It has 6ns resolution and ultimately will have 4 channels; I
project it'll cost about $50. However if you'd like to play with one I can
send you a 2-channel prototype.

As Bob mentioned, virtually every timestamper including professional lab
gear will require an external timebase to get the kind of stability you
want. The usual arrangement is for the timebase to feed a 10MHz reference
signal into the timestamper. The best option in my opinion is a GPS-steered
oscillator. Time-nut Nick Sayer has an excellent one (
https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/gps-disciplined-ocxo/). You can also
buy cheapies on eBay such as https://www.ebay.com/itm/166333117355; my
friend has that one and has been satisfied with it.